Friday, February 19, 2016

Reflection on Learning Theories

Looking back at what I wrote in Week 1 allowed for some interesting reflection.  At the beginning of this class, I felt like I related more to the cognitive learning theory.  In the Week 1 discussion I said, “I feel like I am more successful in a cognitive learning environment.  I realized how I have learned in the past.  Everything for me needs to make some kind of connection to an example of something I can relate to. At the time, I had little experience with Learning Theories and how they worked.  I still agree with my statement there, but I feel like I make a stronger connection with another learning theory.  The past six to seven weeks have helped show me that I relate more to the social learning theory.  As I look back at all of my positive experiences in school, it has always been when I have interacted with people in a group setting.  My favorite education experiences in the past were in the form of class discussions or group projects.  I still feel that I favor the kinesthetic and visual learning styles.  But what has been a great new tool for me with this class is the importance of learning strategies.  This class helped show me that there is a difference between learning styles and learning strategies.  It took me a long time as a student to use good learning strategies to make sure I was grasping the concepts during school.  Now I can help my students succeed by teaching them multiple learning strategies to ensure they are successful in my class.  One in particular that I didn’t learn until much later in life was the importance of comprehension monitoring.  There were many times in high school and even college where I would read a text passage without making sure that I understood the text I was reading.  Helping my students learn this valuable learning strategy should help them be successful students in my class and down the road in the educational career. 


Technology plays a very large role in my daily life as a learner and as an instructional designer.  Weather sitting on my couch streaming a television show from my phone or gathering information for my next lesson plan though Google at school; technology has become a pillar in my life.  Creating my learning Mind Map a few weeks ago showed me how important technology is in my learning.




Obviously, it is currently helping me receive my master’s degree.  I am able to get the information I need to be successful in my classes and to complete my work on time.  Without the technology, this program wouldn’t be an option.  Digital textbooks, online discussion, virtual mind maps, RSS Blog feeds, learning theory matrix and online videos are just a few of the ways I have learned in this class.  I also use it to do professional development on my own time.  Using social media and other platforms to build my skills has increased over the past six to ten years.  Finding new websites or technology tools that will help my lessons has become a new obsession as well.  

My Mind Map also showed me that I use technology in high amounts to create my daily lessons for my 4th grade students.  My flipped classroom wouldn’t work without technology, for me or my students.  I wouldn’t be able to make the videos and my students wouldn’t be able to watch my videos.  I use a Mobi board in my classroom to help present the instruction during class time.  My website is another piece of technology that helps me communicate with my parents on a regular basis.  I could keep going and listing more technology uses in my class, but it would take up so much space.  Needless to say, it is very obvious that I use technology as a student and an instructional designer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment